Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Rich Turned 60 Today!


We are in Newport Oregon staying at the Sylvia Beach Hotel in the Willa Cather room, to celebrate Rich's 60th birthday. We drove up the Oregon coast today from Gold Beach where we stayed last night, after spending 3 nights in Eureka, California. El viejo loco looks pretty cute, huh? For being 60?

We had to play a game at dinner here to get to know the other guests, where you tell two truthful things and one lie. I am a much better liar - everyone at our table believed my lie (I have 5 children) but they didn't believe Rich's lie.

The Oregon Coast is weird - how you experience it kind of depends on the mood you are in, what the weather is like, etc. From reading stuff on the internet, it sounded like Brookings was sort of a cool place, and we planned to stay there last night, thinking we might be able to kayak a bit too. We ended up driving right through, after looking around a little. Totally sucked. Gold Beach was better, and as it was past 6:00 when we got there, we stayed there. But the most beautiful place was Port Orford, where we drove through this morning. Tiny town. One art gallery with wonderful stuff, and a fantastic beach.



Then we drove north, thinking we might stay in Florence. We stopped there, went to an overpriced la de da place for a late lunch. They had pretentious Numi tea, which has no flavor, and then they served us our overpriced shrimp louies with rotten lettuce. So we went and got ice cream cones and left town and came to Newport, which was a great decision.

Tomorrow we go home to see how our countertops are looking.

We also have been focusing a lot of attention on good thoughts for Amber. I even named one of my 3 extra pretend children after her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm dying to know what Rich's lie was. He doesn't look a day over 59 and that smile is absolutely infectious. I literally cannot look at it without breaking out in a big snaggle-toothed grin. Rotten lettuce? Good it wasn't rotten spinach. Great photos.

I'm still working on my big Humpty Dumpty and planning some smaller ones--about goose-egg size.. I sure do love that boy. Splat!

Joni said...

I think he said he was an ex-biker from Sacramento. I don't know why no one was fooled.

Joni said...

The 5 children were Oliver, Danny, Alexander, Amber and Emma. I think Amber was the 20 year old. The 2 girls were the youngest. And they believed me even though I was a little foggy on dates and ages and stuff (what mother of 5 wouldn't be?). The truth that they didn't believe was that I lived in a cabin in Alaska WITHOUT ELECTRICITY. They believed the cabin part. But who could live in a cabin with 5 children and no electricity?
And it is a compliment, I think. I was thinking quickly and your name was right there in my brain, of course, because I have been thinking of you so much lately...