Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Sad and Fond Farewell to Plato 1993 - 2007






More geese flew over while I was waiting for Dr. Holveck to get here to look at Plato.

A few days ago, Plato was laying in the shed and wouldn't get up. I noticed that his leg was caught, so we pulled a board off the side of the shed to free him. He still wouldn't get up, even though his leg did not seem injured. He was drinking water, but not eating. I made arrangements for Dr. Holveck to come look at him today. He couldn't get him up either, and said there really wasn't anything he could do that would prolong his life for more than a few days anyway. So I decided it was time to say goodbye.

I had about 15 minutes with him while the doctor went back to get the drugs for the injection. I just scratched him and talked to him. He seemed quite calm, although he still kept trying to get up a little. I'm sure he understood and I don't think he was quite ready. That old sheep was a fighter. The last 2 winters we thought we were going to lose him and he pulled through. When Lota was here one time he was just laying in the shed. She told stupid me that he needed water. I had not been giving him enough. We gave him some and he perked up right away! So maybe now Lota will take of him.

Dr. Holveck was very gentle and Plato went really fast. Now we will bury him out in the field near Aristotle.