Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Catching Up - My Lovely Garden

All summer long I have been, as usual, frantically working in the garden. There is more work to do than I can ever possibly keep up with. On weekend mornings, I get up, put on my grubby clothes, go outside, look around, and then go from one thing to another, rarely feeling like I really get something done, because it is never finished. Occasionally, when we have cleaned up the patio and have guests, and actually sit down and enjoy it, I realize just how nice we have made our back yard. But those times are rare. Usually I see the weeds and the work to be done, rather than how much we have accomplished and what a nice place we have created.

On Saturday morning, a few weeks ago, I did what I usually do. Only this time, I was in the middle of the vegetable garden, and all of a sudden, dramatically, I was struck by how lovely everything was, and I had to stop and just look. I felt elated. I tried to take some pictures of it at the time, but the sun was shining pretty brightly so it was hard to capture.









This is the arbor Rich made for me, leading on to the patio.





And this is my little bed of amazing zinnias that just bloom and bloom and bloom.















And my gorgeous red and orange and yellow peppers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's easy for you to say. But at least you didn't wrap uncle Bub up in kraft paper and packaging tape and mail him to Alaska. I'll be internally grateful for that undevelopment.

Joni, Joni, macaroni
How does your godden gwo?
With baseball bats and pussy cats
and birds, bees and my scare crow.

Joni said...

Maybe he just hasn't arrived yet. Did you ever think of that, huh?

the third floor said...

There are no birds in Joni's garden. Rich killed them all. Nevertheless, it is very, very pretty. One of my favorite places.